allynotty.blogspot.com
 
"I don't want to leave SG yet! Pfft! :'C"

a lil something for mom.

Saturday, May 9, 2009 @ 8:02 PM


I would probably never have gotten interested in cooking or baking if it hadn't has been for my younger brother, who taught me how to make graham cracker cake, and for my mom who patiently taught me how to make leche flan. I’m not the most patient on Earth. I do, however, love to try baking and as part of that, I’m also someone who dicks around the kitchen and disturb mom and my younger bro when they’re cooking or baking. =D

So, today is mother’s day and people said it’s a time to recognize the sacrifices these special moms make for their children. So yea, knowing the situation, I couldn’t say no when mom asked me to join her in the kitchen.

“The grand thing about cooking is you can eat your mistakes.”
– Julia Child, an American chef, author and television personality.

Cooking is not something you can learn by watching your mom, grandma, or even your younger brother in the kitchen (well amf!! that’s how I learned!). It takes a lot of time and patience to make a leche flan – waiting for things to set, broil, etc. and once again, I’m not the most patient dude on Earth! I didn’t have a lot of patience and attention to baking and I was apparently rushing the process. And so mom would nag every now and then.

You cannot rush these things! You’ve got to give time for sugar to caramelize!

Be careful not to burn the sugar!

Stop text-messaging!

Always clean your cooking area before and after using it! Wipe down the food prep surface first!

Have you even heard about cross-contamination between foodstuffs?

Anyways, the cooled-down leche flan is now being refrigerated! Wait until we’re ready to unmold it! After 8 hours, it will look like this YUM ;)

A photo from: http://bakingncooking.wordpress.com

I love you Mom (even though I'm still grounded T_T) ! Everyday you sparkle, but today you rule! Happy Mother's Day!(:


--love lots,
Paula Alyssa

Top of page 

Previous - Homepage - Forward